303 S Galena (Aspen Block)
Year:1886 more 90s
This “business block” was constructed in 1886 to be rented out for commercial purposes. The two main financial backers of the project, Cowenhoven and Brown, achieved their wealth from mining in Aspen. The first occupants of the building were City Drug Store, Messrs. Hoopes and Company Grocery, and the First National Bank. The business blocks were symbols of the prosperity of the town and the individuals for whom they were named.