This structure is representative of Aspen’s mining-era character. The building represents a typical style known locally as the “Miner’s Cottage,” characterized by the relatively small size, simple floor plan, and front gable / porch relationship. One of the very early miner’s cottages built (1883). Built by A.G. Sheppard, and later sold to D.R.C. Brown who retained it in the family until 1898. D.R.C. Brown was involved in the development of Aspen through his investments in mining. The building remained in residential use for many years. It provides a window into the nature of the life of an average family or individual during that period, as well as the construction techniques, materials available, and architectural fashions of the time.