The church was founded in August of 1886 by the Reverend H. S. Beavis. The cornerstone of this structure was laid on Sunday, April 20th, 1890 for the Presbyterian Church of Aspen. The structure took ten months to complete, and was constructed of locally quarried sandstone from the Peach Blow Quarry in the Frying Pan River valley. 500 people attended the first Sunday service. The structure was built at a cost of $20,000, and had incandescent electric lights and a steam heating system. The structure has been used continuously as a church since its dedication.